Saturday, January 1, 2011

ORAL BLENDING

Oral blending is a basic phonemic awareness task. Phonemic awareness is the understanding about spoken language. It is the ability to hear, identify and manipulate individual sounds(phonemes). If children cannot distinguish individual sounds within words, they will have difficulty to read and write.

Oral blending exercises help children hear how sounds are put together to make words so that they can begin sounding out words independently as they read.
You can begin oral blending with children as early as three years of age.

GUESS THE WORD:
1. Simply tell your child "I'm going to say some sounds and I want you to guess the word. /s- a-t/"
Train your child to say "sat".
2. You can also say "I'm thinking of an animal. It's a /c-a-t/.

3. You can play 'I Spy.' Say 'I spy something square, /b-oo-k/.'
Note: Say the sounds not letter names.

No comments:

Post a Comment