Since using phonics is something new in primary schools in Malaysia, I would like to suggest a Reading & Writing Station in Year 1 classrooms.
You will need:
1. Sound cards. Put them in envelopes or 'ziplocks' according to units. Unit 1 - Put s a(3) t(2) p(2) in each envelope. It's great if you can have one envelope of sound cards for every student in your class.
2. Handy Pocket Charts. I teach my course pax to make their own.
3. Picture cards according to the units.
4. Magnetic letters & board(if your school have the budget to buy).
5. Sandpaper or sensory letters (I stick them to the wall at pupil's eye level).
6. Modelling clay - keep them in airtight containers.
7. Sand/Salt box
8. Sound Cubes
9. Phonics Board & Card Games
10. Sound Posters
11. Letter Formation Cards(laminated- use small transparent plastic bags if your school doesn't have a laminator).
12. Word cards(sight words too, in blue please. Other word cards can be written in black).
13. Decodable Texts(poster size)
14. Phonics Dictionary
15. Writer's Wall - Stick mahjung paper on a wall. Have crayons, colour pencils and pencils nearby. Encourage pupils to write whatever they like on it.
In my preschool, we have to change the paper every other day.